Direct and Manage the business operations of the district including accounting, payroll, purchasing, and tax collection.Education:
Bachelor's degree in a business-related field or education administration preferred.Special Knowledge/Skills:
Knowledge of budgeting, accounting systems, and payroll processing
Working knowledge of financial applications and accounting
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets and perform data analysis
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Assist in the preparation of the budget and development of long- and short-range objectives for the business operations of the district.
2. Ensure that accounting systems comply with applicable laws and regulations including Texas Education Agency Financial Accounting Manual.
3. Administer the district’s budget and ensure that operations are cost-effective and funds are managed wisely. Prepare all budget adjustments, additions, and deletions.
4. Assist the district’s independent and internal auditors in conducting periodic audits.
5. Evaluate accounting procedures, systems, and controls in all district departments and recommend improvements in their design, implementation, and maintenance.
6. Determine cash available for investment and payment of bills based on daily analysis of cash flow.
7. Oversee monthly bank reconciliations for all accounts. Review reconciliations of vendor and payroll clearing accounts.
8. Work with district personnel to project student enrollments, staffing needs, building and facilities needs, energy needs, capital equipment needs, and other cost items for district and individual school improvement.
9. Plan and conduct needs assessments for improvement of district business operations. Ensure that business operations support the district’s goals and objectives and provide leadership to achieve cost-effective practices throughout the district.
10. Assist with administration of the business office budget and ensure that programs are cost effective and funds are managed prudently.
Policy, Reports, and Law
11. Implement policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in area of business operations.
12. Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
13. Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Purchasing and Inventory
14. Maintain accurate and current inventory records of the district’s fixed and movable assets and oversee maintenance of a timely replacement cost-asset listing for insurance purposes. Organize and conduct sales to dispose of surplus and salvage equipment.
15. Oversee the preparation of bids and bid specifications. Receive and analyze bid proposals and prepare written recommendations.
16. Prepare, review, and revise business department job descriptions.
17. Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary business operations.
18. Select, train, evaluate, and supervise staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.