JOB TITLE: School Bus Driver
REPORTS TO: Appropriate Transportation Supervisor
Operate school bus and related equipment to
provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized
persons on assigned route and to and from other designated locations.
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license
with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass U.S.
Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to complete
required bus driver safety training
Ability to follow written
and verbal instructions
Ability to use maps and
Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to follow routes and locate addresses
Ability to manage student
Ability to communicate effectively with others
Ability to operate bus
1. Drive bus daily following assigned route and adhering
to established schedules.
2. Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
3. Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road
conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure
student safety and reduce delays.
4. Perform pre- and post-trip inspections according to
specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely and notify supervisor of needed
repairs. Keep assigned bus clean and maintain appropriate level of fuel.
5. Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries,
and mechanical problems and complete required corresponding reports.
6. Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and passenger
rules and regulations. Supervise students while they board and leave the bus
and cross the street.
7. Maintain discipline and use effective behavior
management control over groups of students. Report student discipline problems
to appropriate administrator and communicate with teachers and parents
regarding student’s behavior when warranted.
8. Perform emergency evacuation of students on bus when
the situations warrants.
9. Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school
10. Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as
first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
11. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly
report conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor. Report
any hazardous conditions along scheduled route.
12. Install snow chains during inclement weather.
13. Maintain safety certification.
14. Operate and monitor two-way radio equipment to
communicate with transportation office and other drivers.
15. Complete and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and timely
records and reports including but not limited to those related to bus mileage,
gas and oil consumption, and number of passengers transported.
Operate school bus; two-way radio; global positioning system (GPS); safety
equipment including but not limited to flares, reflective signs, and fire
Prolonged sitting; frequent standing and twisting; occasional
kneeling/squatting, bending, stooping, and pushing/pulling
Prolonged driving; moderate walking; frequent climbing stairs,
grasping/squeezing, wrist and shoulder flexion/extension, and reaching
Limited light lifting and carrying
(less than 15 pounds) on a daily basis
Frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, noise, and vehicle
fumes; work around moving vehicles; regularly work irregular hours, and
occasionally work prolonged hours
Maintain emotional control under stres